Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Life...Muted

About two weeks ago I caught a really nasty head cold.  I was over at someones house helping them with a sick baby and her 4 little girls who ALL had colds.I thought it was just a head cold until one night I had a pretty bad earache.  When I woke up in the morning I found that I had dried blood in my ear.  I've had earaches all my entire life, much more when I was young and swam all the time, then I do now.  I knew this wasn't just any ordinary problem like I've had in the past so I called my Dr. friend and ask what I needed to do.  He put me on a "big gun" prescription of antibiotics plus ear drops.  I was faithfully taking them but then my left ear went quiet.  I thought maybe it was just plugged so I tried the hydrogen peroxide method of cleaning it out (I don't really like that feeling of bubbling coming out of my ear but I know it works).
I repeated this method about 4 times but to no avail.  Then a couple days later, my right ear went quiet!  So now I'm pretty much deaf.
Fortunately I was able to get an appointment with an ear, nose & throat Dr. here in Provo today so...this story will be continued later.
In the meantime, my kids have been teasing me, I had to teach the Relief Society lesson on Sunday, Dave has kinda liked that I now know how he feels, although I think my case is way worse then his normal hearing loss.  And beside, he's is due to guns, sirens and other loud noises that he brought on himself.  Haha!  He had a Dr tell him once that the average range of a womans voice is the range he has trouble hearing at.  Nice Doctor!  You gave him an excuse!
I'm beginning to wonder if we moved here so that I had access to a wide range of medical help because I've had some weird junk since we moved.
Oh well, at least I'm still alive and loved by some.

2 comments:

  1. You know just a thought, If you had better Health in Mesquite, Maybe you should come back! But for the way my body has been feeling lately I'm sorry to say I think life is catching up with our bodies, and not letting us do exactly what our minds tell it to do.
    Hope you get (FBF)feeling better fast. And that you get good news from the Dr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'LL TYPE LOUDER SO YOU CAN HEAR ME...GET WELL SHARIE PETERSEN!

    In the meantime, from one deaf right ear to another, here's a few ways to get the most out of your awful plight while you're waiting to recover:

    1. Sleep at night on your good ear and you'll get a blissfully undisturbed night of slumber--caution: this even leaves you undisturbed during smoke detectors sounding off, trust me on that one. Nothing will interrupt your beauty sleep.

    2. Make sure anyone that annoys you always sits to your right, especially at church.

    3. When the caller ID shows a phone number of someone who usually calls and asks you for help, put the phone to your right ear when you answer and keep repeating the word "WHAT?" over and over until they hang up.

    4. Learn enough sign language to say "I couldn't hear well enough to use the kitchen timer, looks like we need to eat out again tonight." (this might also work on laundry too--just tell them in a really loud voice that you can't hear the washer and dryer buzzers which makes doing laundry completely impossible.)

    5. Use the closed captioning option on your television so that it annoys everyone else in the house and they all clear the room and let you have the remote control all to yourself.

    I'm sorry your ears and giving you such troubles and hope you get better really really soon. :(

    ReplyDelete