Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hawks & mice & flies...oh my! Oh and beautiful colors!

Beautiful fall colors from our balcony
 So ever since we moved to Utah I have felt as though I live right in the middle of animal kingdom.  There is not a day that goes by that I don't have an "animal encounter" of some sort, even if it's just chasing flies around the house with a fly swatter.  With the colder weather, those flies are getting fewer and farther between which I really like but I've had other encounters too.  I've had several unpleasant encounters with mice, voles (which are like mice only smaller), and those big ugly black stink bugs!  What's up with these things?  I'm going to have to speak to the Man upstairs about these when I get there.  It has been about a week since I've seen any mice/voles.  And actually it isn't as unpleasant for me as it is for them so I think the "news" has spread to their little friends to beware!

First dusting of snow looking towards Payson
 The other day was pretty cool when Dave spotted what he thought was an eagle.  He got his binoculars out and it turns out it was a giant hawk!  A few minutes later that same hawk was perched on our balcony looking at me through the window.  He didn't stay long but man, that was pretty cool!

One day last week while I was talking to Sarah on the phone, I was out on the balcony and saw a small snake working it's way up towards our home.  I loved this because what do snakes eat?   MICE!  I love snakes!  Non poisonous ones of course! 

Fall colors!
Fall is definitely in the air and I'm loving it!  It's been a long time since I've lived in a place where there is a real fall season.  I know that winter comes next...I'll keep you posted on how I like that!

2 comments:

  1. Haha lucky you.. It was 80 and humid today. But.. I can go to the beach when you can't so I will stop complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate mice. They aren't nearly as cute in real life as they are on TV. Those pictures are so beautiful. It almost looks exactly like that in Mesquite!:)

    ReplyDelete