Thursday, January 20, 2011

Calling whiplash!

Shortly after we moved here, I was assigned a visiting teacher partner and a route.  I was looking forward to getting to know some of the other women in the ward.  My partner was great and was very devoted to going each month which I was thrilled about because I was beginning to get a little antsy with nothing to do.  The first time we went, I met three amazing women.  The two we were assigned to see and my partner.  We had a great time and I thought to myself, this is going to be awesome!  

One of these sweet sisters is the Bishops wife.  She is fun, bubbly, and very easy to talk to.  The other is an amazing woman with an amazing story to tell.  She was born and raised in Africa but has lived here for 10 years.  She is kind of quiet and she thinks that she doesn't have much to offer but I'll tell you what, she has a spirit inside her that is as large as the empire state building which is funny because I don't think she weighs more than 100 pounds!  There was something about her that mesmerized me.


Fast forward one month...They changed my partner AND my route!  One time is all I was able to have with them.  One month.
I thought, okay, now what?  I'll take whatever comes... Well, I got a new route and partner which was good.  So on with life.  I'll just get to know even more people, right.

About 4 months ago, I was given a calling to teach the third Sunday Relief Society lesson.  I was actually really excited about this because I've discovered over the years that I enjoy teaching.  Go figure.   I thought this was perfect.  A once a month calling.  What could be better?   

But I soon found out that my happiness was temporary.  The day that I was suppose to teach  my very first lesson, I was asked to meet with one of the Bishops counselors.  Of course all sorts of thoughts went through my head, like... I couldn't have done anything wrong or offended anyone...I haven't even taught the lesson yet.  I wondered if it was some small calling in the YW or something to do with visiting teaching.  But I just figured I'd go and see what it was about.  So the counselor had me take a seat and then, without much "small talk", he asked if I would be the CUB SCOUT BEAR LEADER!!   What??  But, but I'm already doing/intend to do one calling.  

Honestly, this was my greatest fear.  I don't know what to do with  a gaggle of little, loud, smelly boys!  Actually that's not the part that really had me breaking into a cold sweat.  Truth be told, I don't know how to figure out all of those patches, badges, belt loops, awards, and beads!  Not to mention all of the those ridiculous songs, chants, and cheers.  I honestly think you need to be a rocket scientist to figure all of those doo-hickys out and it probably helps to be a trained circus entertainer to be able to entertain those pint sized people.   Then they told me that my assistant was none other then that sweet woman from Africa that was taken away from my visiting teaching route!  When I heard that, I knew that God was at work here.


After I picked my jaw up off of the floor...I quickly resigned myself to be the best darn bear den leader I could possibly be.  You see, since our move, I've felt a little lost.  I was so used to being on the go here and there, used to knowing just about everyone, used to knowing how to do my callings and I was pretty much on auto pilot.  Nothing like moving to make you feel all sorts of things that you're not used to feeling.  It's a time when you can hide, keeping your head low and your abilities hidden  or a time to step into a new life, offering what you have to give to your new surroundings.  I don't think that moving is the only way a person can do this but it certainly is one way.  

The timing of this calling was interesting because the holidays were just around the corner.  I think we held one meeting and then it was Thanksgiving.  We held one more and then it was Christmas, New Years etc so we didn't hold scouts for 3 weeks.  After the first of the year, we held 2 more meetings and then it happened...

I was called in by the Bishop.   You can imagine what I'm thinking at this point.  I just knew that there were some fantastic people in this ward and that I couldn't possibly be the only one who was willing to accept a calling.  I mean really people.  But I told Dave that I would do what ever I was asked to do and that I NEVER should have "asked" for something to do.  I learned that Heavenly Father actually does listen and if you're not careful, he'll give you exactly what you ask for, times 10.   

You see, it was just the day before this happened that I was talking with Dave about how I'm in this really strange place in my life.  I have been a stay at home mom for 20+ years, my kids are all in school and I'm wondering what I do now.  It's an uncomfortable place.   I kinda feels like I got "laid off" from my job.  Like my job sort of ended and I don't know what to do.   I could probably get a job, go to school, or something like that but on the other hand I feel a deep sense that I need to be here when the kids get home.  I don't want to make that call that says "sorry I can't make it to your (game, concert etc) because I have to work."  We've been  blessed that we have had that option, although many days I would have gladly gone to work!
I see the benefits of it when I see my kids and the choices they make.  That is my paycheck!


So the Bishop proceeds to release me from BOTH of my calling in exchange for one.  He asked if I would serve as the first counselor in the Relief Society Pres.  What?  I knew that this was a new presidency (only 6 months) and that that was really a short time for that.  It turns out that the Stake "stole" the 1 counselor for YW and that left an empty hole.  I suppose I make a good "plug".  I will do what I'm asked to do.  With as many blessings as I've got, why wouldn't I?   And I suppose I just got "hired" for a new "job".



2 comments:

  1. "Calling Whiplash", now that's funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that funny that getting a call into the Bishop's office feels like getting a call into the principal's office? I think you will be a wonderful councilor . . . how long do you think you'll be in this calling?

    ReplyDelete