Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pain in my back side!

I must be getting old!  Some days I refuse to acknowledge this sad fact but there is no more denying it.  Just before Thanksgiving this year, I was "hit" with a herniated disk in my lower back.  I say HIT because that is what it feels like.  It feels like a sharp, deep pain that goes from my lower back and into my right leg. Unfortunately this is not the first time this has happened.  I seem to be prone to this...lucky me! 

Well it went away just in time for the holidays and I had a great time with everyone until this week.  Then it hit me again.  I try very hard to be careful about how I bend, lean over, and how I move but for what ever reason, when it wants to flare up, it does.  


This time has been different because this time my right foot and half way up my calf has gone numb!  I mean really numb.  It feels like someone shot me with Novocaine.  Nothing I do will make the feeling come back so I decided it was time to go the the next step past Physical Therapy.  

I scheduled a Drs. appointment at which time he told me that I have a herniated disk and a pinched nerve.  So he scheduled an MRI.  Now if you've never had one, let me share with you how they go.  They give you and very fashionable outfit to change into.  I'm sure it's straight from the runways of Paris.   Then they give you a set of earplugs.  This is a good thing because the MRI machine is VERY loud.  Then they have you lay down on your back on a semi hard table (this is very painful for me at this point).  Next, they tell you to hold very still so the "pictures"  will not be blurry. Then they slide you into a giant tube where you stay for about 20 minutes while they take a myriad of photos while you must stay very still.  The tube isn't that bad but if you're claustrophobic, this is not for you!  I remember when Dave had to get one after his stroke.  He never knew he was claustrophobic until that day.  Not to mention he is quite broad through the shoulders so I imagine it was like trying to squish 
"Mr. Incredible" into the small tube.  Now that's a visual image!

I tried to keep my mind busy so that it didn't feel as though I were in a coffin and fortunately I put a piece of gum in my mouth just before going in to keep me "busy".  Although, while I was chewing and chewing, I had an awful thought come to mind.  What if the gum fell to the back of my throat and I started to choke!? You cannot sit up or turn over so I just had to focus on not letting that happen.   As you can tell, since I'm writing this, I survived!


My foot & leg are still numb.  I figure it just matches my brain at this point.  haha!  I don't know what the MRI results are yet.  But one thing I do know it that I have the best family ever.

During this episode I have had to rely heavily on all of them and they have stepped up and done a great job.  Amanda gets up early so that she can take Jeffrey to school and get to her own school without being late (I've only had to call and excuse 1 tardy).  Becca has helped me hobble around and has even helped me put my socks on a few times.  Jeffrey has kept up on the laundry and trash.  Amanda has made meals and done dishes.  She even shaved my legs once because I couldn't stand it anymore.  She only cut me once!  Haha!  I told her that one day, when she's married and big and pregnant, I would shave her legs for her.  She just looked at me like I was crazy!  Dave always calls several times a day to see how I am.  And when he gets home, he dives into helping.  Even Sarah has called to check up me.  I really love my family.  I wish everyone was blessed to have one this great.  



2 comments:

  1. YIkes! Sorry to hear about all of your body backtalk. But I must admit I almost peed my pants reading about your gum quandary in the MRI machine. And yes aren't those lovely machines?! I didn't think I was claustrophobic until they shoved me in one. I changed my mind. Apparently that darned machine will troubleshoot your problem areas in that regard.

    Hurry up and get better. Not happy news when a friend is down for the count! We love and miss you.

    Oh yeah, keep having Manny shave those legs...we wouldn't want you going all "Ashland" on us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you are hurt but I am so happy to hear how everyone is stepping up their game for you! Amanda doesn't realize now how badly she will want you to shave her legs for her when she is big and pregnant!

    ReplyDelete