Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lessons at the Ace Hardware Store



I recently discovered that we have an Ace Hardware Store right here in Spanish Fork.  Apparently, it's been here for 100 years!  Who knew?  Like with most of these little stores, if you're just looking to quickly run in for one or two things, they are great.  Their prices aren't the best but when you consider the gas money it would take to drive the 12 or so miles into Provo and back, it's worth it to stay local.

All I needed was some patch-n-paint (for all of those holes I've been creating) so I drove down to the Ace, ran inside expecting to be less than 2 minutes, tops.  Instead, I was greeted by an elderly man who, once he spoke, I could tell that he was hard of hearing.  Now having just gone through my hearing loss moment, I have a greater sense of compassion for those who have to deal with this condition.

He was very kind and helpful and showed me to where I needed to look for the item.  While standing in front of the buckets of patch, he asked if I knew about how Jesus could "patch" all of mankind.  I said, "Yes" and from that moment, I was taught by a man with nothing to loose, no hearing to speak of, no time schedule to keep, no pretense to live up to (he was wearing a well worn plaid shirt, old faded jeans and old ball cap).  I noticed that he had a wedding ring on and wondered if he had lost his wife (because he seemed a bit lonely). Perhaps he was using what time he had left to share the good news of the Gospel.  

Jeffrey was with me on this day and I was glad.  Glad he got to witness a pure soul who only wanted to help others.  This kind man didn't expect anything in return.  I'm sure that others have been greeted the same way and I wonder how many of them thought this man was crazy, or "loosing it".  I've always looked at the older generation and wondered what they have endured, what their story is, what they have seen or experienced.

Monday morning I needed to run down to Ace again for some spray paint.  So, I jumped in my car, drove down to the store, and again I was greeted by this tender old man.  He asked what I was looking for and I told him.  He showed me to the paint and then while I was checking out, he asked me how my Sunday was.  I said it was great, that I spent time with family and friends (the Jones') and had a good day.  Then he asked me if I understood or could "feel" the difference of the Sabbath verses the other days of the week.  He then told me that God himself had sanctified that day.  He asked if I noticed that the air is better on Sunday, the trees seem different, the whole atmosphere changes for that Sacred day.  Honestly, I never really paid attention to that, but now, I'm sure that I will.

So, when ever I have a little bit more time to spare or if I need a Spiritual Boost, I'll make a trip to my local Ace Hardware Store and be taught by a pure old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment