Thursday, September 8, 2011

Homemade Chewy Granola Bars...YUM!

I found this recipe for chewy granola bars, I tried it, and it got a "thumbs up" from even the most discerning/picky person (Amanda) in my home!  Now that the kids are back in school, they need lunch stuff.  It's not that we didn't feed them lunch during the summer...but now they need quick, grab-n-go kind of stuff to take with them to school to keep their brains & bodies working.  None of them use their lockers so they don't want stuff that has to be put in a lunch box and stored in there and then returned to the locker after lunch.  Frankly, they don't have time for all of that back and forth anyway.  Instead, they prefer to take the old fashioned paper bag so they can just toss it when their done.  No fuss, I like that. 

It does present a bit of a challenge to provide healthy stuff that doesn't require an ice pack.  I could just stock up on fruit snacks (I think they are stretching the truth about being fruit) or chips, crackers, or other junk but I just can't do it.  Now if you are starting to think that my kids are abused or neglected because I don't just send them with junk, don't.  I have provided plenty of that stuff but I'd like to mix it with the better stuff.  And besides that, that stuff is expensive! 

So here's the recipe for a 9x9 pan:
In a large bowl combine:
2 1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
2 cups quick oats
1/4 cup wheat germ, flax, bran or any other finely ground grain

In pan, bring to boil:
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar

Remove from heat and add:
1 tsp vanilla
Pour over cereal mixture, toss until evenly coated, and pour into lightly greased
9 x 9 pan.  Press down gently.  Cool completely.  Cut into small bars and wrap individually with wax paper, plastic wrap or foil.  Store in refrigerator.

If you want a jelly roll (cookie sheet) pan size, just double.  That's what I did.

**optional ingredients could include mini chocolate chips, dried fruit, crushed graham crackers.

2 comments:

  1. Those sound so good! I'm totally going to have to try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me see if I can get this straight . . .Hooray for Jeffrey! What a good boy.
    Your poor mom's knee- wasn't ready for those pictures:(
    How horrible for them to have all that water damage in their house!
    ANd those granola bars sound yummy! I wonder if they will pass my picky Kiera test???

    ReplyDelete