Thursday, September 1, 2011

Jeffrey's great day!

You know how it feels to have one of those really great days?  They usually don't come around too often but when they do, they're worth it.  Jeffrey had one of those days yesterday.  It started when he and Amanda were heading to McDonalds after school when they passed a car that had stalled in the middle of the highway.  He recognized the driver as a kid from his Geometry class and asked Amanda to turn around so they could help.  They pushed the car off to the side and the kid said he was out of gas.  Jeffrey then asked Amanda to take him home so they could grab one of our gas cans, take it to the kids' car and give it enough for him to make it to the gas station, which they did.

Then, Amanda was taking him home before she headed to volleyball practice but he asked her to drop him off around the corner from our house because he saw a group of boys from the neighborhood.  He figured he'd stop there and see what they were all doing. 

He quickly figured out that things weren't good when he realized that one of the boys was being egged into a fight that he really didn't want any part of.  If there ever was an "easy" target, this kid is it.  He is an over weight, loner, that has been in foster care most of his life.  One boy was the "ringleader" of the torment and the others where either watching, or in one case, taking video on his phone of the impending fight.

At this point Jeffrey stepped in and told the boys to go home.  When they turned on Jeffrey (verbally) he didn't back down.  He stood his ground and told them how "tough" they were to be involved in a fight 7 to 1 and if they pursued it, they would have to go through him.  Well, Jeffrey has done some growing, both physical (he's almost 6 ft now) and emotional, and I think they figured they'd do well to turn around and go home, which they did. After they left, he told the kid that if they ever bother him again, just tell him and he'd handle it.  Unfortunate, they attend different schools and this other kid rides the bus with the other boys.

By the time he got home, his adrenalin was pumping and he said, "Mom, I just learned in my health class TODAY about depression and suicide!  This kid is textbook for that"  And, "I don't know where I got the courage to do that!"  But I know where he got it and if he stops to thinks about it, he does too.  Heavenly Father uses people to bless and help others, if we'll listen to the promptings of the Spirit. 

This great day has the best ending to it.  I took him to take the test for his learners permit and he passed!!  Good for him, but I'm not sure I can take another teenage driver!  Wish me luck!


2 comments:

  1. Awh.. I love that boy!! He freaking rocks. He made my day when he called.. it went a little something like this.. "Hey Sar, guess what? I passed my permit test." "Sweet Jeff congrats!!!" "Well.. Okay. That's why I called. Love you. Bye." hahaha
    Oh and good for you Jeff, sticking up for others! I'm proud of you! Love you all! (P.s. 4 weeks)

    ReplyDelete