Thursday, October 20, 2011

Oh Hawai'i

     

BYU sent Dave to work in Hawaii for a week so I did the only sensible thing I could do...I tagged along!   Are you kidding me?  I was not about to let him make his maiden voyage to the island and not jump in on it.  I mean after all, our oldest daughter Sarah and her husband Chris live right there where Dave was to be working.  And when I say Right There, I'm not kidding.  The whole town of La'ie is about 4 blocks.  It's probably larger than that, but not much larger.



While Dave worked (he really did work most of the days we were there) I got to hang out with Sarah and do stuff like, baby sit (this is her job) stock their fridge and shelves with food, wander around and take pictures of some purely Hawaii scenes, some where quirky, some where cool, some where beautiful and some where downright weird.

Oh, and I spent a fair amount of time sweating!  It is really hot and sticky there and it wasn't even summer time, which I hear is much worse!  The average temp was 85* and 100% humidity!  It rained almost every day but that was actually a welcome relief.  Side note: their place has no A/C, only a fan.  I loved that fan!  The place we stayed had A/C but we spent most of the time over at their place because it was closer to everything.  We stayed at the Turtle Bay condos, which is a whole other story...




One of the first stops was at Foodland, the only grocery store around.  Sarah has told me about the prices of things over there but I wanted photographic evidence of it.  So here it is:

Their chicken is really FRESH!  But you need to kill it and clean it yourself. haha 
I'm pretty sure that the island was build on a chicken coup because there are chickens running around everywhere.  It makes for good food storage, if you can catch 'em.

This is for ONE gallon of milk!!  It's 3 gallons for $5.00 at the BYU creamery



 
I can get juice like this for about 1.00

I know the cost of butter has gone up, but this is crazy!

 I can get pasta for about .99 on sale


Holy Cheese, grommet!

For salad dressing?

This cheaper shampoo wasn't horrible but still more expensive

Fresh french bread?...I can get it for 1.50 or less

This is just the first of many posts about Hawaii.  I will post more after I get my house clean!  Three busy/lazy teenagers left at home, need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment