Monday, February 6, 2012

Names

Whats in a name? Sometimes a lot, sometimes nothing. I was named after my mother, Sharon. She tells me that that was not her wish, but my fathers wish. She never really liked her name but dad said, "I'm the one blessing her so I think I'll name her Sharon." How do you argue with that flattery? And so it was. That's where my name was born. Funny thing is, is that I am never called Sharon, except by people who don't know me, which comes in handy when it comes to telemarketers. If I answer the phone and the person says "May I speak to Sharon", I know right away that they are not a " friendly".

Sharie

I don't remember being called anything other than Sharie.  Why?  Because when you have two people in the same house with the same name, it gets confusing.  So from the time I was able the communicate with the world, they called me Sharie.  When people would call our house and say, "Is Sharon the there?",  the next thing out of the mouth of whoever answered was, "do you want BIG Sharon or little Sharon?"  No, this was NOT a fat joke.  So I would highly suggest that you don't name your kids with your exact name, or if you do, call them by their middle name.  It will save much confusion and hassle.

I've often been asked how I got the spelling of my "name".  Well, I guess dad and mom decided to just take off the "on" and add an "ie" and call me Sharie.  Strange, I know, but it works.  I've been temped, many times, to have it legally changed but that is such a hassle.  Such a hassle in fact, that it took me 10 years just to change the "o" to and "e" for Peterson/Petersen on my drivers license and it would probably still be "o" if the lady and the DMV in Las Vegas didn't catch it, dang her!  I had to get a new SS card which meant I had to go to the scary side of town to the Social Security Office (they're always in the hood) and apply to get a new one with the correct spelling.  Then I had to return to that DMV office and get my renewal.  What a Pain!!

Oh well, it's done.  I might still need a little therapy to get over it.  haha  My name has only come in handy once or twice when I could sign our name (with her permission, of course) and it was not forgery. 

Why do I bring up names, you ask?  Oh, I just don't want my new little, dare I say it... I'm too young... grand baby to have to put up with the same name shenanigans that I've had to deal with.  

So, what's in a name?  A lot.

As a side note...my mom told me once that my "back up" name was going to be Penny.  Can you imagine a copper haired girl named PENNY?  Not funny!  But the ironic thing is is that we had a DOG named Penny.  Good call parents!  I'll stick with Sharon!

No comments:

Post a Comment